1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
20 miniature peanut butter cups
20 chocolate-covered peanuts or raisins
Black or brown writing gel icing
- Preheat oven to 350˚ and line baking sheets with silicone baking mats
- Beat peanut butter, shortening, butter, and both sugars together with an electric mixer, for 4-5 minutes, until combined. Add the egg and vanilla, beat until combined.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl. Put mixer on low speed, slowly adding flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture, beat until well mixed.
- Scoop dough and roll each portion into a ball, you should have about 20. Flatten each piece slightly and arrange 2 inches apart. Press your thumb into the center of each cookie.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through.
- Once cookies are out of the oven, while they are still hot carefully place 1 Mini PB cup slightly below the center of each cookie, the warm cookie wil melt the chocolate “body” into place. Then, gently press 1 chocolate-covered raisin or peanut “head” above the PB cup. Allow the cookies to cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transfering to a wire rack.
- Once cool, use gel icing to draw 8 legs from the body of each spider. Allow the icing to set and enjoy!